Thursday, September 27, 2007

Oh Deer

*Grey's Anatomy Spoilers*

I am worried.

I love Grey's Anatomy. I love it for the palpable angst that used to be present every time Derek, Meredith and Addison rode an elevator. But now, Addison rides talking elevators in another hospital. Oh, wait, they took that stupid element out of "Private Practice"....but either way she's gone.

Anyway, at the heart of any great drama, we really need the 'will they or won't they make it' of the core couple, in this case, Meredith and Derek. But the writers got them together too quick, then panicked and now I'm so confused why they 'broke up' in the first place. So I spent most of the first episode trying to remember if/why they broke up. I still can't really say, but I guess it has something to do with Meredith's inability to be normal. Or something.

Further bumming me out is the introduction of the new interns and Meredith's sister. I really hope all of these generic new characters aren't a permanent fixture, and yes that includes Meredith's sister. Maybe like Meredith said in her VO...I just don't like change.

But, worst of all is that the writers [I'm sorry, I'm sorry, Grey's writers, please don't hold this against me someday when I beg you for a job] spent the whole first episode trying soooo hard to write quippy dialogue and overblown inspiring monologues that they forgot to deal with the heart of the matter. And, I'm sorry, that Izzy saving a deer storyline? Did I miss it? When the deer jumped up did it ACTUALLY jump over a shark?

Sigh. I don't wanna hate on Grey's. I just miss the angst. Previews for next week do hold out hope for me with the Izzy/George/Callie triangle.

And, it's not ALL bad. I did really enjoy Mark Sloan's doe-eyed man-love speech to Derek.

That made me feel like Grey's Anatomy has still got some game.

No comments: