Tuesday, December 2, 2008

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas

I am totally getting into the holiday spirit! True, I am deeply, deeply troubled by AFLAC's decision to mar my childhood memories of Rudolph by using the jolly characters to sell insurance, but I guess so be it.

PhotobucketNevertheless, as we passed the Day After Thanksgiving milestone, I became anxious to hear my holiday fave, "Do They Know It's Christmas?"

For some reason, though this came out in 1984, long before the days the internet made pretty much anything a permanent fixture, I remember every detail of that video as if I was still in the 7th grade.



I remember every little swoop to the beat that Boy George's shoulders made as he sang. I remember seeing that chick holding up the Squirt can and wondering what funny little private joke was behind it. And I remember the wafts of smoke circling around Jody Watley.

But when I watch it now, it also makes me want to give out some special awards to the folks in the video. It's never too late for prizes...

PhotobucketThe Cherish Your Youth Award Poor, poor George Michael. Seems like only yesterday the pretty you was waking me up before you went-went.














The "Bet You Never Could've Imagined What a Tabloid Spectacle Your Life Would Become" Award I guess this could also go to Georgie, but let's cut him a break and give it to another George....Boy George, that is.

PhotobucketThe "I Really Should Start Doing Yoga" Award Inspired by Sting, who might be the real Benjamin Button

The "I'll Have What He's Having" Award Inspired by Bono, who managed to look cool in a mullet then, and is even cooler NOW.

But, hey, it's the holidays. I should have a more giving spirit, so....

God bless us, everyone. Even the no-longer-famous ones.

No comments: