Thursday, September 29, 2011

Starz Search


I have to say, so far this fall season has really underwhelmed me. Out of the gate, I was sort of into "Two Broke Girls", but 2 episodes in, it just can't seem to shake the 80's format dust off. And by 80's, I don't mean in a cool, retro Ray-Ban hipster way. It just feels...tired, like Ted McGinley might show up or something.

I'm still on the fence about "Up All Night", and I haven't even managed to make myself hit play on the "Pan Am" premiere episode still clogging up my VCR, er, DVR. See? The tv time warp is confusing me.


So, here we are, and I am desperate to love a new show. Enter...Kelsey Grammer? (Insert inappropriate Camille Grammer/Real Housewives of Beverly Hills joke here.)

He's got a brand new drama. Is it good? I don't know. It's premiering on Starz in a few weeks, but the good folks at Starz have already renewed it for a second season. This means one of 2 things: A) this show is the next BIG THING, and we should all subscribe to Starz immediately or B) the marketing folks at Starz want you to THINK it's the next BIG THING, so you subscribe to Starz immediately.

You can watch the Boss trailer and decide if Starz is worth adding to your lineup, or at least worth scamming your cable company to give you a free trial (oh, like you haven't done that?).

Because I am dying for a new show to be hooked on and, let's face it, because I just happen to have a free Starz trial, I'll at least give this political drama a shot, but the jury is out for me. When I watch this trailer, I can't seem to quite get on board because I'm distracted by of all of the following:

A) Kelsey Grammer is trying so desperately to convince us he is a super baddy and not Frasier that it seems like he studied lots of Cruella DeVille cartoons to get into character to prove he is a SERIOUS DRAMATIC ACTOR.

B) A show about a slimy politician hiding a secret? That's never been done before!


C) Is it just me, or does that-girl-from-90210 sport like 5 different pairs of nifty glasses in this trailer? Is Lens Crafters a sponsor? I haven't seen an optical co-star this prominent since the Sally Jesse Raphael show.

Oh well. I've got at least a month left on the Starz free trial, so I'll check it out.

Besides, I must admit, I really want to find out about where to get those cute glasses.

No comments: