Sunday, February 10, 2008

Mytunes

I hadn't actually planned to watch the Grammy Awards this year.

It's not that I don't love music. In fact, I'm your typical Ipod drone who is lucky not to get hit by a car each morning, walking to the subway absorbed in my current "new year's resolution mix" (or whatever cheesy mix title I have decided on for the week). It's just that I am a little out of touch with all of the hipsters of the top 40. In fact, most of the songs that end up in my Itunes "Just for you" cart (recommendations based on my purchases) are of the Classic Rock variety...ok, and one recent really embarrassing Hannah Montana recommendation, but I digress.

But, I'm so glad I watched.

I got to see Alicia Keys kick things off with her Frank Sinatra (video) duet and it was awesome. Awesome enough that my dad called and asked "who is this Alicia Keys?" And then I felt like the hipster. How 'bout that? (I still can't get him to understand what Itunes is, but...baby steps.)

And that's what the Grammy's are supposed to do...bring old and new generations of music lovers together, and there was lots of that.

Now, ON THE OTHER HAND, I'm not sure the world was waiting for a "The Time" reunion, but it was fun seeing MC Hammer Morris Day performing again in that gold suit.

Also, I still don't know the difference between Album of the Year, Song of the Year and Record of the Year.

Only two weeks until the Oscars!

2 comments:

Mary said...

What did you think of what happened to THE BAND. They gave them some sort of tribute or award and a little package about how they changed American music, yaddah yaddah and it was all nice, EXCEPT THEN they went right into a tribute on the Beatles who changed the World. It was like a smack in the face to The Band and in such poor taste. At least throw a musical act in between or something. Their other follow that was total bad taste was Fergie after Kayne. Sure he's obnoxious but he sings this somber little thing about his dead mom, then right on its coattails was fergie being all sad and emotional about discovering herself or something. ack. I mean why didn't Amy Winehouse get AOTY??

Krista Katsoulis said...

I didn't understand that fake tribute to THE BAND at all. And I'll admit my attention had started to wander at that point so I had no idea why Tom Hanks was the one explaining this fake tribute.

Mostly I was thinking..."Hmmm, Hanks looks less bloated. I wonder if he's cut out carbs?"