Tuesday, May 12, 2009

XOXO

I am caught in a bit of a quandary. You see, I was late to the party on Gossip Girl. But when all my friends' HUSBANDS were watching, I became intrigued.

And so the boyfriend and I set off on a total Netflix binge.

But, even with all of our marathon Gossip Girl-ing, we didn't finish season 1 before season 2 began. And so we have been trapped in a vortex, waiting for season 2 to end, trying to impose a Gossip Girl Season 2 news blackout until we can power through all THOSE episodes to be caught up for season 3.

Wow, TV is exhausting.

PhotobucketLast night, though, I had to break the no-watching-season-2-pact to see the 80's flashback/possible spinoff pilot. In the interest of not totally ruining season 2 for myself, nor wanting to 'officially' break the pact, I sped thru the episode just to watch the flashback parts. A bit of a pain in the keester, but so be it.

Here's the skinny, should this spin off get picked up:

What was good Andrew McCarthy as Lilly's hoity-toity dad? Could there be anyone more iconic to play the rich 80's snob? Genius casting, though I did half expect her to call him Blaine.

What was bad Why can no one ever get 80's hair right? Lilly's (Brittany Snow) hair looked basically like all the girls on the red carpet...in 2009. It's NOT that hard, people! It's really all about the bangs. I could loan them my high school pics for research! Let's just say if you were going to name my bangs....well, junior year it was "the roll". Senior year, it was "the claw". And yes, I occasionally rocked a banana clip. If you are female, you know you did, too.

Beyond the hair issues, did we really need those gratuitous shots of the Rubik's cube? What's next - is Michael Jackson gonna moonwalk into one of the scenes?

PhotobucketPhotobucketJust plain odd I can't take credit for noticing this, because I read it elsewhere, but now that it was pointed out to me...Teenage Lilly=blue eyes. Grown up Lilly=not so blue eyes. What, no budget for contacts, CW?




PhotobucketPhotobucketAnd that girl that played the sister was just a total dead ringer for Jennifer Grey's sister in Dirty Dancing, so it was kind of its own unintentional 80's shout out for me.

Verdict Anything 80's sucks me in, but just for fun, let's stunt cast some more 80's peeps besides Andrew McCarthy. Paging YOU, Sixteen-Candles-Jake aka Michael Schoeffling.

No comments: