Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Stella's Got Her Groove Back

PhotobucketI am feeling like Carrie Bradshaw more than usual.

And by usual, I mean in that way that my non-NYC acquaintances say "You are just like Carrie Bradshaw!" because they think I run around in Manolo's (I wish), drink cosmos (more of an Amstel Light gal) and party with celebrities (the closest I've come to that is when the REAL Aidan a.k.a. John Corbett screamed at me on a city street because he was convinced I was following him like a crazy stalker, even though I was actually just trying to cross the street during the NYC Marathon...along with about 3 thousand other people. Note to John Corbett: though your post-Sex and the City gig as the VO guy on Applebee's commercials IS impressive, it's not quite enough to lure me in.)

Anyhoo, the other night one of my readers approached me at a party, and he was worried about my blog. He was concerned that now that I've been mentioning a boyfriend on the blog, it might change the tone and piss people off. Listen, I know Carrie chucked her dating column (don't I write a TV one, BTW?) when she ran off to Paris to be with that Russian dude on Sex and the City, but let's not forget once she ended up with Mr. Big, she wrote a bunch of successful books.

Seems to me like it was a win-win for everybody.

Back in the real world, I may not be Carrie, but I am here to alleviate your fears. Single or not, nothing's going to change. In fact, I am going to make you a few promises, which I pledge to keep (yeah, yeah, me and today's candidates....did you vote yet????).

PhotobucketI promise to continue to call out shows I think are jumping the shark (This means YOU How I Met Your Mother. Enough with the 'One to Grow On'-type wrap-uppy VO's at the end of every ep, more Barney. Thanks.)

I promise to temper flaunting my occasional achievements (I ran 6 miles on the treadmill today!) with totally embarrassing pop-culture references (had Britney's 'Gimme More' on auto repeat through about 90% of that run).

I promise to continue to randomly dredge up 80's crap for no reason and then torture you with the theme song that you won't be able to get out of your head for the rest of the day, like this one from Family Ties.

In short, I promise to be...Just Me. After all, what would we do, baby, without us?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What i think your reader (no doubt a handsome, funny and thoughtful lad) meant was not that it would piss people off, but rather that he was afraid it would lose some of it's charm. Your, "single gal with her DVR and poor luck in the dating world," voice was one that he enjoyed very much since you pulled it off with such wit and well used self deprecation. I'm sure he is quite happy for the positive turn in events in your social life and was just trying to tease you a bit about possibly losing your "edge". It's possible that he may have been slightly over-served at the 2 previous parties he had attended that evening and I'm confident he sincerely hopes he did not sound "critical" of the change...