Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Green is Good

So we all know by now that it's an inconvenient truth that the environment's gonna go to hell if we don't all start pitching in and do our share. And so I think it's great Hollywood is doing their part by driving around in those teeny weeny little cars and hanging out with Al Gore. Really, I do.

PhotobucketAnd so it would follow that I think it's great that Discovery is launching their 24-hour eco-lifestyle television network, Planet Green. I'm all for it. I'm drinking my water out of a non-plastic container next to one of those curvy looking lightbulbs as we speak. Go environment!!!

However...

My dear, dear marketing/programming execs may have overdone it when they decided to come up with all the shows to fill this channel's new lineup. Here's a random sampling: Greenovate, The Green Life, Greensburg, World's Greenest Homes, and Mean Green Machines.

Tom Green has a show. No, I'm not making this up. And somewhere, Pink is kicking herself.

It's like their entire slate came from one of those meetings where everyone, including the day-one interns, has a few drinks and you get to shout out all your ideas and someone sticks them all up on a wall.

Maybe they went a little overboard. They maybe didn't have to pick them all.

Like Hollywood Green with Maria Menounos. The concept? It's an entertainment magazine series about celebs making "green" news headlines. Imagine it now....Scott Baio just used an eco-friendly diaper on his baby! Jennifer Aniston just wiped her mouth with a recyclable paper towel! Exclusive! George Clooney just returned a Coke can!

PhotobucketAnd for those rare shows without green in the title...well boy, they sure ran out of steam. "Tom Brokaw Specials" is, as you might imagine, described in the press as... a series of specials hosted by Tom Brokaw.

I am kind of excited though. I will totally tune in when they create Green's Anatomy.

No comments: