Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Pride and Prejudice

Photobucket
When I saw that Neil Diamond was going to be on American Idol, I had to call my dad.

"Do you watch American Idol?" I asked.

"I don't watch those types of shows," he replied with, dare I say, contempt?

"What type of shows?"

"REALITY shows," he said, same revulsion in his voice.

"Have you ever seen it?"

"No." he said...quietly.

And so herein lies the struggle of reality shows...there are sooooo many stupid So You Wanna Be My Baby Daddy's Dance Partner-type shows that it ruins it for the good ones.

And it scares people like my Dad from watching a show I just know he would really LOVE.

Well, he would love it when they do Neil Diamond or Andrew Lloyd Webber songs. Any type of serious rock, well, he thinks it's called Rap and he calls it "garbage".

Anyhoo, I'm not sure if he watched, but most of it was right up his alley. Unfortunately, adding fuel to the fire that reality shows are wacky...Paula Abdul went a little haywire and somehow offered up a critique of a contestant before he actually performed. That was uncomfortable...or prophetic, depending on your point of view. The negative feedback she gave Jason Castro (albeit before he sang his song) was spot on.



American Idol Live TV Car Crash Moment: 1 Credibility: 0

Well, maybe my dad is right. Maybe I SHOULD stop watching reality shows.

And besides, if I want to see premonitions...I can start watching Medium.

No comments: